Presentation and objectives
Fundación Carolina in conjunction with the Embassy of Spain in the United States, organizes on an annual basis the Hispanic Leaders Program, inviting members of these communities and thus aiming to offer an approach towards the current Spanish reality and to fortify relations between both countries. This Program exists under the scope of Fundación Carolina since 2001 and was conceived in order to identify personalities noted for their achievements in different sectors -business, academic, artistic, institutional or media- and therefore encourage the creation of a network among them and their Spanish counterparts. The 19 editions of the Program have hosted over 200 participants.
Enhancing their sense of belonging, as well as consolidating the links of the participants with Spain.
Broadening the range of Hispanic institutions and businesses in the U.S. that Spain can engage with.
Increasing awareness of the origins of the Hispanic communities.
Offering a global and comprehensive picture of the current Spanish reality.
Stressing the key role of Spanish as a common, global, and forward-looking language.
Conventions are an essential tool of this initiative, where participants from different editions are gathered. The 2nd Convention was held in Washington in 2006 and was attended by H.R.H. the Prince of Asturias. The 5th Convention (2013) took place in Miami, being coterminous with the 5th centenary of the arrival of Juan Ponce de León to Florida.
After 19 editions and 5 conventions, the 6th Convention of U.S. Hispanic Leaders will be held on 17, 18 and 19 June in San Antonio, and will involve over 50 professionals who have already been engaged in the Program. The goal is to update the relations that have been created, boost the business, technology and cultural industries environments in the U.S., and to establish relations with their Spanish counterparts, aiming to initiate partnership programs.
In essence, this Convention is an opportunity to bolster the voice of the Hispanic community, both in America and Spain, as well as improve institutional relations, create business opportunities, and define technological, political and scientific challenges faced by the Hispanic agenda. At the same time, it is a unique forum to highlight the importance of the Spanish language and its relevance as a key factor in the relations between America and Spain.
- El español en Estados Unidos. Jesús Andreu, Juan Manuel Bonet y Darío Villanueva. El País 20/2/2028
- El prestigio de lo hispano. Jesús Andreu. El País. 15/1/2018
- «El español en EEUU: acoso y derribo». Pablo Díez. EsGlobal 4/12/2017
- «Las verdaderas cifras de los hispanos en EE.UU. y cuánto poder tienen»”BBC Mundo. 15/3/2016
- When Culture Creates a Glass Ceiling. Diana Matos. The Alumni Society
- Discussion Board: Are universities preparing Latinos for advancement in corporate America? Diana Matos. The Alumni Society
- Lecciones de Historia. Jesús Andreu. El Huffington Post. 30/09/2015
- Hispanos: el liderazgo que viene. Jesús Andreu. El País. 01/05/2015
- Escuela de Líderes. Jesús Andreu. El Huffington Post. 01/07/2014
- El mercado hispano en Estados Unidos: una oportunidad de negocio en crecimiento. The Hispanic Council. 16/10/2015
- «Latinos, hispanos, español y espanglish». Aura Lemus. Amerika 2011
- «El español, una lengua viva. Informe 2017» Instituto Cervantes
Resumen de la última edición del programa Líderes Hispanos de los Estados Unidos celebrada en Madrid y Salamanca en diciembre de 2017